Sunday

BIG BLOGGER IS WATCHING YOU

Commonwealth residents who grew up in the '70's and '80's when British publishers were continuing to print our school textbooks despite the ostensible collapse of the Raj may recall having to read an essay by George Orwell titled "Why I Write". I don't actually remember what Orwell's reasons for writing were, but I'm willing to bet that like his style, they were clear, logical, and as thrilling as cardboard. The best bits of Orwell's writing, as with Shakespeare, the Bible, and other creative works, have become clichéd sourceless pop-culture sound-bites: Big Brother, some are more equal than others... okay, nothing else comes to mind, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, the reason I bring up Orwell is that I like to think it makes my blog sound smart and serious. Because Orwell, by general consensus, is smart and serious, while retaining that enviable aura of political controversy that marks him as a truth-teller that Valiantly Defies Authority. And Orwell wrote an essay called "Why I Write", which seems to me a perfect way to segue into my own reasons for writing.

Most writers have a sneaking suspicion that they're overflowing receptacles of brilliance. And receptacles of brilliance aren't particularly interested in other (rival) receptacles of (alleged) brilliance: they're preoccupied with tricking The System into publishing their one book, for surely the inevitable recognition and adulation from The Masses will take care of the rest. Voila, the internet.

Cut to the present day, and my reasons for writing:
1. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am an overflowing receptacle of brilliance.
2.

...okay, so there's just the one reason. This blog, like all the other blogs I've abandoned in the past (but you'll never find out about, since I've covered my tracks by hitting the Delete All Cookies button, ha!) is about why I'm right. Here I shall discuss a range of topics, such as:

- Manga
- Food
- Films
- Awesome things I've been doing
- People who suck
and occasionally
- Things of importance.

So onward, little piglets! Let's get on with it. Tally ho, and all that jazz. Comment allez-vous, arrivederci, sayonara. Ole.